Skip to content ↓



  • Mr C Harris (Head of Department)
  • Mr R Manton

You have not allowed cookies and this content may contain cookies.

If you would like to view this content please



The department consists of two ICT Suites, each containing 32 ‘Thin Client’ Pcs.
Students also have access to other ICT facilities in other locations around
the school. Each student is also encouraged to purchase a portable device in
order to ensure network access as and when required.


Students have opportunities to develop knowledge of theoretical concepts as well as practical-based problem solving skills in a variety of ‘real-life’ situations.
Every pupil has access to a PC throughout their taught curriculum time.

Key Stage 3

ICT is compulsory at Key Stage 3, and all students are given the opportunity to experience
much of the wide range of software that is available to them throughout their
time at SGS and beyond. Students are also introduced to the new ‘Computer
Science’ initiative, and begin to learn basic programming concepts and ways in
which ‘logical thinking’ can help in the world of ICT through the programming
interface ‘Scratch’. These programming skills are developed further through the
use of ‘languages’, such as HTML coding (including Dreamweaver), JustBASIC,
LOGO (in conjunction with Lego) and eventually developing ‘Apps’ via an online
App developer. Throughout KS3 these skills are applied to solve given problems
and are linked to the STEM curriculum that students begin in Year 8.

Key Stage 4

Students follow the Cambridge International Examinations iGCSE course. This is a two year, linear course which is examined at the end of Year 11. The course is separated into two ‘modules’, with the practical skills counting for 60% of the final mark, and the other 40% covered by the written theory paper.

Key Stage 5

Students follow the AQA ICT GCE ‘A’ Level course. This course is split into four modules, two of which are examined at the end of Year 12 and two at the end of Year 13. The course has a number of practical requirements but is dominated by theoretical concepts such as ‘how organisations use ICT to gain competitive advantage’.


Students have access to the ICT Suites before school, during lunchtime and after school. They are encouraged to work independently to solve problems and develop the skills that are required to be a successful ICT practitioner in the business world.